HomeAbout BBPDMeet the StaffMission StatementContact UsPound PageFirearm Purchase CertificatesDepartment HistoryMore HistoryBBPD PhotosMore PhotosD.A.R.E.Frequently Asked QuestionsRoad ConditionsSex Offender Registry




Q: How do I get a copy of my accident report?

A: First call the police department, 872-6424, to ask if the report is complete. If it is, you can stop at the department to pick up a copy. There is no charge.


Q: How do I obtain a copy of a criminal incident report?

A: The county attorney’s office, 872-6327, can authorize release of these reports.


Q: How do I report something to the police?

A: Call 872-6424. A dispatcher will record your complaint and connect you with an officer.


Q: How can I provide information to the police?

A: Broken Bow Police Department encourages citizens to provide information to aid investigations. You can contact BBPD by phone at 872-6424 or visit the office at 116 South 11th Avenue. All information is held in strictest confidence. Please be assured that you can remain anonymous. 


Q: Somebody is harassing me and I want it to stop. Where can I get a Protection Order or a Restraining Order?

A: You can file for a harassment protection order against a person who is abusing you by visiting the District Court Office at the Custer County Courthouse.


Q: Can you tell me if there is a warrant out for my arrest?

A: No.


Q: I received a call from a company claiming I had won a trip, but in order to claim my prize, I have to give them my bank account number, social security number, credit card number or some money. What should I do? Is this a scam?

A: If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. You should never have to divulge personal information to receive a prize, and you should never give any of your personal information over the phone. Get the caller’s full name, the name of the company and the phone number. If they won’t give you a name and number, chances are it is not legitimate.


Q: I have had several phone calls from people representing themselves as police officers and asking for donations. Are they police officers and what is the money used for?

A: BBPD police officers do not solicit money over the phone for the department. There are some law enforcement-related agencies such as the Fraternal Order of Police that solicit donations, but they are not police officers nor does the money directly benefit local law enforcement.


Fines & Fees

Q: I received a City Citation (not a State of Nebraska Uniform Citation and Complaint). Where do I pay the fine on a City Citation?

A. City Citation fines must be paid at the Broken Bow Police Department, located at 116 South 11th Avenue, Broken Bow, NE 68822. You can mail the ticket and fine to the department or you can bring them to the department in person. City Citations must be paid within 15 days of the date issued.


Q: Where do I pay a parking ticket fine?

A. Parking ticket fines must be paid at the Broken Bow Police Department (see address

above). You can bring your ticket and payment to the department or you can mail them

in. Please note that the fine due is $5 if paid within 10 days of the date when the ticket

was issued, $10 if paid within 11 to 20 days of the date issued and $20 if paid between

21 and 30 days. After 30 days, additional penalties will apply.


Q: Why did I receive a parking ticket?

A:   Parking tickets are issued to the registered owner of a vehicle that violates city parking codes. The violation is checked on the front of the ticket, and may include the following:

  • Overtime parking (parked for more than 24 hours in the same location on a city street),
  • Double parking
  • Parked in a fire lane or too close to a fire hydrant
  • Parked in a loading zone, alley, crosswalk
  • Parked the wrong direction
  • Parked in a prohibited area
  • Parked in a restricted zone
  • Parked in a handicapped zone
  • Parked across lines
  • Parked too close to an intersection
  • Obstructing traffic lane
  • Blocking a private driveway
  • Parked too close to a stop sign
  • No vehicle registration and/or license plates



Q: What’s the city law on curfew?

A: The city curfew is 11 p.m. for anyone under the age of 16.


Q: How do I get a city dog tag?

A: Bring proof of your dog’s rabies vaccination to the Police Department. Dog tags are $5 each.


Q: What should I do if my dog is lost?

A: Report it to the Police Department. If your dog has been picked up and placed in the pound, you can retrieve your dog from the Police Department. There is a $20 pound fee.


Q: What is the limit on the number of dogs and cats per residence in Broken Bow?

A: City ordinance limits the number to four dogs and four cats (a total of eight animals) at any one time per residence. The offspring of any dog or cat do not count toward the maximum allowed for a period of four months after the birth of said offspring. However, only one exempt litter of cats or dogs may be kept in a household at any one time. Violators of this ordinance can be cited.


Permits/Bikes/Vacation Watches

Q: How do I obtain a handgun permit?

A: If you are a resident of the City of Broken Bow, bring proof of identification to the Police Department, fill out an application and pay a $5 fee.  A criminal history will be run. If approved, you will receive your permit, good for three years. Those who live outside city limits may apply for a permit from the Custer County Sheriff’s Office.


Q: How do I register a bike?

A: Bring the bike to the police department. A Police Department staff member will place a number on the bike, take a photo, and obtain a description of the bike and the owner’s name, street address and phone number.


Q: I am going on vacation, how can I get the police to watch my house?

A: If you will be gone for at least 7 days, you can stop at the police department and fill out a request for a Vacation Watch.


Lost and Found

Q: I lost my watch, bike, keys, eyeglasses, etc. How can I check to see if they have been turned in to the Police Department?

A: Stop in to the Police Department. If your lost item is in the police’s Lost and Found and you can correctly identify it, it will be released to you. A department employee will ask you to sign a release form.


Q: If I find an item somewhere in Broken Bow, what should I do?

A: Bring it to the police department, where it will be held in the Lost & Found for the owner to claim.


Ride-Along Program

Q: I am interested in a career in law enforcement. How can I get permission to Ride-Along with an officer?

A. Individuals must be 19 years of age or older to apply for the program at the Broken Bow Police Department. You may get permission for a Ride-Along with an officer if your application is approved by Chief Steve Scott. For more information, contact Chief Scott.